About Us

Susan G. Komen Upstate New York supports the Komen Mission: To save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.

Komen Upstate New York is a resource for breast cancer and breast health needs across the state, from outreach & education about risk factors and early detection to support and information for all those affected by this disease. Through your donations, your time spent volunteering toward our mission, and your investments large and small, our Affiliate is able to empower and engage our constituents as activists as well as provide support to individuals and families.

Through a series of events throughout the year as well as generous annual contributions from the communtiy, Komen Upstate invests 75 percent of the funds raised to support vital local breast health services, and dedicates the remaining 25 percent to national research to find the cures.

Our service area includes the following counties:

  • New York: Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Green, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orleans, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wyoming, Yates
  • Pennsylvania: Bradford, Potter, Tioga

To request a member of our Speakers Bureau or arrange for a local Komen representative to attend your health fair or community event, please contact our office at 844-240-0339 or email us at info@komenupstateny.org.

Where Your Money Goes

Our Community Grants program is designed to make systemic, lasting change in Upstate New York. Seventy-five percent of the donations raised by Komen Upstate stay in the area, providing services within the counties of Upstate New York. Most of the funds are distributed through our Community Grants Program, which are made to non-profit organizations to provide educational, screening or treatment support services to underserved local residents. Click here for more information on our Community Grants program.

Special emphasis is placed on programs focused on breast health education among minority women in culturally appropriate formats, and on projects providing services for underserved populations.

The other 25 percent of Komen Upstate’s fundraising efforts go to Komen’s National Research Grants Program, providing cutting-edge research toward finding the cures. Our funding cycle runs from April 1 – March 31 every year. Click here for more information about Komen-funded research.

The positive impact you make by funding these initiatives is significant, but, it is not enough – the urgent need in our community continues to grow.


Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease.

Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $990 million in research and provided more than $2 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.

With survivors and activists in more than 120 cities and communities across the globe and more than 100 Komen events in the United States and internationally, Susan G. Komen® is the most progressive grassroots organization fighting breast cancer today.

The Komen Affiliate Network is the nation’s largest private funder of community-based breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs.

Working Together to Create Greater Impact

For many years, there were Komen affiliates throughout New York State. In 2016 four of the Komen Affiliates in Upstate New York – Central New York (Syracuse), Northeastern New York (Albany), the Twin Tiers (Elmira), and Western New York (Buffalo) began collaborating and sharing resources to make a greater impact and operate as efficiently as possible. In early 2017, the Boards and staffs of all four Affiliates formalized and legalized the partnership, and Komen Upstate New York was born.

Each affiliate brought with them years of working hard to support breast cancer survivors, raise funds for local grants and research, and help women and men detect breast cancer early so they can beat it. The new Upstate New York affiliate was created out of a strong desire to bolster those efforts and help more people more efficiently.

To see regional offices and staff members, please click here