- About Breast Cancer
- Race for the Cure
- Twin Tiers Region Events
- Western New York Region Upcoming Events
- Survivor Luncheon
- Calendar of Events
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
Investing Komen dollars in WNY
Raising money in Western New York for Western New Yorkers
Susan G. Komen® has invested more than $2.2 billion in research and life-saving community programs. Komen is the largest non-profit source of breast cancer research funding outside of the U.S. government.
Komen fights breast cancer on two fronts—through ground-breaking research and through local programs that promote early detection and increase access to breast cancer treatment. The Komen network of Affiliates, of which Komen Western New York is a member, annually funds nearly 2,000 community organizations providing education, screening and patient.
Up to 75% of all dollars raised in Western New York stays in the area, funding local breast health initiatives including programs eliminating barriers to screenings and spreading knowledge of the disease. The other 25% goes toward a national effort to eradicate breast cancer in the form of research grants, including several million dollars of funding for projects currently under way at both the University at Buffalo and Roswell Park Cancer Institute.
Every dollar we receive from our fund-raising efforts go into several grants given to different organizations in the community based on a Community Profile that is done every four years to assess local needs.
Once a year Komen WNY awards Community Grants in several area counties for work they do to support breast health. Three other times a year we award local grants, all under $10,000, for temporary or smaller programs. That adds up to hundreds of thousands of dollars every year having an impact on the health of residents in the 8 counties of Western New York.
Any not-for-profit organization that provides breast health and/or breast cancer education, screening, or treatment services may apply for a grant.